HUSBAND: James I. BARGER Born: 5 Jan 1832 Place: Henderson Co., TN Marr: Place: Carroll Co., TN Died: 7 Apr 1922 Place: Regan, Johnston Co., OK Burial: Place: Father: Henry BARGER Mother: Mary BRUNER
WIFE: Margaret WALL (1st wife) Born: Place: TN Died: Place: Burial: Place: Father: Mother:
CHILDREN: 1. Name: Irving Broen BARGER Born: 1857 Place: Henderson Co., TN Marr: To: Died: Place: 2. Name: Amy BARGER Born: 1859 Place: Henderson Co., TN Marr: To: Died: Place:
(A) Bolen, H. J., "I Remember" Henderson County Times, indicates
that James I. Barger had a brother, Steve, but no other records of
a Steve or Stephen Barger exist in Henderson County. Several
references are made to a John S. Barger, perphaps the "S" was
for Steve. This should be verified.
(B) James I. Barger was justice of the peace in Henderson County, TN. Several deeds conveying land between various members of the Barger family in the 1870's were witnessed by him.
(C) See Family Group Sheet 10080 for 2nd marriage of James I. Barger, to Mary BRITT, and their eight children.
(D) This family is descended from the the George Henry Berger family of Rowan County, North Carolina.
George Henry Berger of Rowan County, NC
(1) "Ansearchin' News" Vo. 17 No. 4 Oct/Dec 1970, pg. 196:
According to Delores Hartman, P. O. Box 853, Greenfield,
CA 93927, James I. Barger was the brother of George, John
and David Barger of Wildersville, TN & Tippah Co., MS.
(2) 1850 U. S. Census of Henderson Co., TN lists James, age 17, in household of Henry Barger, age 63, and Mary Barger, age 49, and Elizabeth Moore, age 16.
(3) 1860 U. S. Census of Henderson Co., TN (HE-277-248) lists Henry Barger, age 73. The other members of the household are indentified only by initials, but they appear to be Mary, age 69 [an apparent error - she appears to have aged 20 years in a ten year span since 1850], James, age 27, a male child "J" age 3, and a female child "A.T." age 1.
(4) 1870 U. S. Census of Henderson Co., TN shows James, rather than Henry, as the head of the household. James, age 37 is indicated to be a farmer. Others listed are Mary E., age 26, Broen B., age 13, Amy F., age 11, Cora, age 6, Alice, age 3, Clara, age 1, and Henry, age 83. [Note: Elijah M. Barger and William O. Barger and their families also resided in Wildersville Township, Henderson County, TN at the time.]
(5) 1880 U. S. Census of Henderson County lists James Barger, age 47, Mary E., age 38, Irving B., age 22, Cora, age 16, Alice, age 13, Clara, age 10, Ida, age 8, Homer, age 5, and Joseph E., age 3.
(6) The Lexington Progress, (Lexington, TN newspaper) 28 Apr 1922: Notice of the death of James I. Barger in Regan, OK, from information contained in correspondence from Daisy Pearl Barger Moore.
(7) Marriage Certificate in Carroll Co., TN
See Barger Family History Society Membership List, Member(s): B226
Return to Barger Family History Society Homepage
Barger Family History Society First Name Index
The Barger Family History Society welcomes your participation in the gathering of family records
and the sharing of research findings. Information for new family group sheets, and any additional
data or corrections of the information contained in this record may be submitted on-line,
using the Barger Family Information Submission Form link below, or may be mailed to the society.
Descendancy charts, family group sheets and copies of documents and source materials may also be mailed to:
Barger Family Information Submission Form
If you have questions or comments about the content of this record, or need assistance with your Barger family research, please feel free to contact the Barger Family History Society.